Local groups unite to take a stand against discrimination during International Action Weeks Against Racism
2 February 2017
The upcoming International Weeks Against Racism will see organisations in Berlin Wedding and Moabit work together to say no to racism and make a stand against growing xenophobia in society.
Demokratie in Der Mitte, in partnership with networking organisation Misch Mit, is running a series of 50 events in the area next month to raise awareness within the local community.
The annual campaign, which is marked across the world, will run between 10 – 26 March. A number of partners from across Wedding and Moabit have signed up to participate, including the No Bärgida movement, Moabit Hilft and City Kino Wedding.
Kicking off the campaign will be a Flash Mob on March 10 at 3 p.m. That will be followed by a number of community-based events, including a workshop on how to manage racism, a children’s reading session on tolerance and a talk on the women in the Far-Right movement.
Demokratie in der Mitte said: “It’s important in these political times, when worldwide many people vote for politicians who stand for nationalism and exclude political and societal concepts, to show solidarity and stand united against exclusion. We want to help create open spaces for meetings and encounters, discussions and creativity – and give opportunities to exchange ideas, views and beliefs.”
Notes to editors:
- The full schedule for the two weeks can be found here (soon).
- A full list of all our partners can be found here.
- Interviews with partners and organisers can be arranged on request.
- Video, audio and images from many of the events will be available for press use.
To cover an event or for further information please contact:
- Bettina Pinzl – Demokratie in der Mitte – 030 495 005 26
- Claire Pfromm – Misch Mit – 0176 344 89 506
- Gouri Sharma Press officer – Misch Mit – 0157 334 26 715